Unfortunately, with rain in the forecast, the opening match of the 2022 Phil LeBlanc Memorial Tournament was played under the dome at West Ottawa this evening. Claude LeBlanc began his last PLMT with a familiar foe in John Payette. Claude and John had competed against each other in the opening rounds of 2012 and 2013. Much like their previous encounters, regardless of the result, both players enjoyed competing against each other with great rallies and friendly exchanges during the changeovers. In the end, it was John Payette advancing to the 2nd round with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Claude LeBlanc. With the win, John will compete against a newcomer in #5 seed Nicolas Dimitropoulos on Sunday at 12:00 PM while Claude awaits the results of another 1st round match between Galen Weaver and Michael Aronovici.
The hope for Day 2 is for better weather as five matches are scheduled to take place. Among them, the first of four seeds competing in the first round as #13 seed Alex Sintu will take on 2019 Consolation Champion Petrica Martinas.
Here is the full schedule for Day 2:
- Wayne Cai vs Li Yu
- Yolito Mendoza vs Einard Jean-François
- #13 Alex Sintu vs Petrica Martinas
- Phong Co vs Weiyi Lu
- Antoine Bujold-Roux vs Frank Zhang
In addition to the matches, volunteers will be on hand should any spectators wish to purchase raffle tickets in person. The cost for tickets are $5 for 3 tickets and $10 for 8 tickets. We have added a new prize to the list of raffle prizes which are the following:
- Two sets of four tickets to an Ottawa Senators game during the 2022-2023 season
- Three Montana’s gift packages including a $25 gift certificate
- $200 gift certificate to Le Nordik Spa
- $200 gift card from Home Depot
- Two Gift Packages from Milestone’s and Kelsey’s amounting to $100 in gift certificates
- Two $50 gift certificates from The Keg
- $100 gift card from Winners and Home Sense
- $100 gift card from Best Buy (NEW!)
If you would rather purchase the tickets electronically, please let me know and we will arrange an exchange.
Hope to see many of you at the club with the expectation of better weather on the horizon.