Day 8’s matches were highly competitive to the point in which the last set of matches didn’t finish until 10 minutes before the lights went out! Which meant that we saw some great action on the A and B-Side of the Open Draw and the conclusion of the 1st Round in the Women’s Semis.
Match of the evening took place in primetime as #2 Austin Flannigan due to a walkover in the 2nd round, had his first match of the tournament against #16 Albert Wong. In watching some of last year’s matches, Albert had developed a clear strategy against Austin from the get go, dictating the pace off of his serve and coming into the net to hit some well placed overhead smashes. Not to be outdone, Austin had added some shots to his repertoire, including an even stronger serve coupled with some timely serve and volley combinations. The 1st set was decided by only one break of serve and it was Austin who would come out on top, winning 6-4. In the 2nd set, Albert continued to press, adding some scintillating cross court forehand and backhand winners. Both players were holding serve with some resistance, so the question became who would break the other’s serve? In the 7th game, Austin would finally break through, and would hold the rest of the way to take the match and advance to the quarterfinals with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Albert Wong.
Other notable matches included Frank Zhang withstanding an incredible comeback from Jun Subad to advance to the Consolation Semi-Finals. Trailing 5-1 in the 3rd set, Jun climbed all the way back to tie the match at 5, then came back a second time to force a 3rd set tiebreaker. Frank would eventually put some points together and would emerge victorious 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (4).
Here are the full results from last night’s matches:
- #12 Scott Ventureyra defeated #8 Andrew Rowe (Open Draw 3rd Round)
- Demyan Plakhov defeated Petrica Martinas (Consolation 2nd Round)
- Frank Zhang defeated Jun Subad (Consolation Quarter-Finals)
- #2 Alana Gibson defeated Becky Hawkes (Women’s 1st Round)
- #15 Jin Xu defeated Risto Gostimirovic (Consolation 2nd Round)
- #9 Tarek Samhan defeated John Payette (Open Draw 3rd Round)
- #2 Austin Flannigan defeated #16 Albert Wong (Open Draw 3rd Round)
Day 9 is providing a lot of matches as well, with the Open Draw 3rd Round, Consolation Quarter-Finals, and one Women’s Semi-Final scheduled to take place. Below is the schedule:
- #4 James Ferguson vs Jonathan Suen (Open Draw 3rd Round)
- #6 Chris Soosalu vs #11 Sean James (Open Draw 3rd Round)
- #1 Sheila Windle vs #3 Huiping Zhang (Women’s Semi-Finals)
- Demyan Plakhov vs Ryan Ward (Consolation Quarter-Finals)
- #10 Jacob Luckasavitch vs Sophie Lefebvre (Open Draw 3rd Round)
- #1 Grant Gibson vs #13 Alex Sintu (Open Draw 3rd Round)
- #3 Ken Li vs #14 Ryan Chan (Open Draw 3rd Round)
- Phong Co vs Max Humilde (Consolation Quarter-Finals)
- #15 Jin Xu vs Michael Aronovici (Consolation Quarter-Finals)
In addition, for the first time in three years, the PLMT bar will be open! So we encourage you to come down to the club, enjoy a cold drink and watch the great action!
Barrhaven Tennis Club