Super Sunday provided some great matches and some very uncomfortable temperatures to play during the day. For one player though, Sunday provided a return to glory for a previous two-time champion.
Match of the day took place at 12:00 PM between newcomer and #5 seed Nicolas Dimitropoulos and John Payette. For John, it had been four years since he had advanced to the Round of 16 and he faced a stiff test in Nicolas immediately at the start. The match featured wild swings at various times. Trailing 3-2, Nicolas began dictating the pace, coming up to hit some great touch volleys while also sprinkling in some devastating forehand shots down the line. Nicolas would win the next four games and take the first set 6-3. In the 2nd set, momentum came back on John’s side as he extended rallies getting to nearly every possible shot, causing Nicolas to make a few unforced errors. John would force a third set, winning 6-1 in the 2nd.
At the beginning of the third set, Nicolas again found another gear, pumping himself up, yelling “Allez!” as he hit some fantastic volleys at the net, jumping out to a 3-0 lead. But just when some thought that John was down and out, he began pushing back with some great groundstrokes. The lead evaporated within minutes and John would complete the comeback and advance to the 3rd round, upsetting #5 Nicolas Dimitropoulos 3-6, 6-1, 6-3.
Among other notable matches during the day and nighttime, Chris Soosalu fought through a difficult muscle cramp to take the final two points in his match against Ky Ly, winning 7-6, 6-1. In addition, #1 seed and defending champion Grant Gibson began his title defense with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Rick Vidale.
Here are the results from yesterday’s matches:
- #4 James Ferguson defeated Tom Fitzgerald
- John Payette defeated #5 Nicolas Dimitropoulos
- #10 Jacob Luckasavitch defeated Andrew Gill
- Sophie Lefebvre defeated #7 Kyle Malone
- #13 Alex Sintu defeated Yolito Mendoza
- #15 Jin Xu defeated Wayne Cai (Consolation 1st Round)
- Jun Subad defeated Phil Cheesman (Consolation 2nd Round)
- Phong Co defeated Eli Nasrallah (Consolation 2nd Round)
- #12 Scott Ventureyra defeated Matt MacKinnon
- #11 Sean James defeated Patrick LeBlanc
- #8 Andrew Rowe defeated Rob Lalonde
- Max Humilde defeated Dave McAleer (Consolation 2nd Round)
- Ryan Ward defeated François Bordeleau (Consolation 2nd Round)
- #16 Albert Wong defeated Antoine Bujold-Roux
- #1 Grant Gibson defeated Rick Vidale
- #6 Chris Soosalu defeated Ky Ly
- #14 Ryan Chan defeated Weiyi Lu
- Michael Aronovici defeated Claude LeBlanc (Consolation 2nd Round)
Day 7 begins the Women’s Draw under the dome at West Ottawa Tennis Club as we begin the opening round along with the completion of the 2nd round of the Open Draw. Below is the schedule:
- #4 Alisha Awadia vs Jane Yang
- #3 Huiping Zhang vs Silvie Joly
- #3 Ken Li vs Loni Bytygi
- #1 Sheila Windle vs Anna Beben
- #9 Tarek Samhan vs Galen Weaver
- Li Yu vs Jonathan Suen
Seating is limited so if you are interested to come watch the matches, please bring your own chair.
Here’s hoping this is the last evening where matches will be indoors!