A few moments of rain didn’t stop the action that took place last night as the Round of 16 came to a close for the Open Draw and one participant for the Women’s Final was decided.
Match of the evening took place at 8:00 PM between #14 Ryan Chan and #3 Ken Li. After missing last year’s tournament, Ryan was looking to get into his first PLMT quarterfinals while Ken was looking to get one step closer to the Final Four. Early on, Ryan was counter punching everything that Ken was throwing at him along with hitting some well placed angled volleys. Ryan would storm out of the gate, taking the first set 6-2. Ken would try to push back forcing Ryan deeper and deeper behind the baseline with some great groundstrokes. The set was even through the first six games. Then Ryan found a rhythm, extending the rallies causing Ken to make some untimely errors. In the end, Ryan pulled off the upset, defeating Ken 6-2, 6-3.
Other notable matches last night included #10 seed Jacob Luckasavitch advancing to his first ever PLMT quarterfinals with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Sophie Lefebvre. In addition, this year marks Grant’s 10th year participating in the PLMT. And with it, he has now made it 10 consecutive years into the quarterfinals with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over #13 Alex Sintu. Finally, #1 seed and 2018 champion Sheila Windle advanced to the Women’s final with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over #3 seed Huiping Zhang.
Below are the full results from last night’s matches:
- #10 Jacob Luckasavitch defeated Sophie Lefebvre (Open Draw 3rd Round)
- #4 James Ferguson defeated Jonathan Suen (Open Draw 3rd Round)
- #6 Chris Soosalu defeated #11 Sean James (Open Draw 3rd Round)
- #1 Sheila Windle defeated #3 Huiping Zhang (Women’s Semi-Finals)
- Demyan Plakhov defeated Ryan Ward (Consolation Quarter-Finals)
- #1 Grant Gibson defeated #13 Alex Sintu (Open Draw 3rd Round)
- #14 Ryan Chan defeated #3 Ken Li (Open Draw 3rd Round)
- #15 Jin Xu defeated Michael Aronovici (Consolation Quarter-Finals)
Tonight’s matches look to be very competitive as the Quarter-Finals take place throughout the evening along with the Women’s Consolation Semi-Finals. Below is the schedule:
- #4 James Ferguson vs #9 Tarek Samhan (Open Draw Quarterfinals)
- #2 Austin Flannigan vs #10 Jacob Luckasavitch (Open Draw Quarterfinals)
- #4 Alisha Awadia vs Becky Hawkes (Women’s Consolation Semi-Finals)
- Anna Beben vs Silvie Joly (Women’s Consolation Semi-Finals)
- #1 Grant Gibson vs #12 Scott Ventureyra (Open Draw Quarterfinals)
- #6 Chris Soosalu vs #14 Ryan Chan (Open Draw Quarterfinals)
Unfortunate news as due to staffing shortages caused by COVID cases, Pita Pit will not be able to be on site today to provide free samples. The bar will be open though for a 2nd consecutive evening so we welcome you all to come down to see who will qualify for the Final Four tonight!
Barrhaven Tennis Club